Welcome to the companion website for Stephan Gramley's The History of English: An Introduction.
How to use this website:
- An interactive timeline of important events gives increased historical context to themes and developments in the history of the English language. Scroll along to see language and literary events in their historical and geographical context. Click on an event to reveal more information.
- Chapter Links: The companion website icons in the book indicate where further explanation of the terms can be found. This extended glossary, arranged by page number, gives context to the discussion within the chapters for students who wish to read around the subject.
- Texts and Exercises provides extra examples ranging from Chaucer to twenty-first century novels. The exercises here can help you expand your insights and apply background knowledge.
- The Audio Resources tab allows you to hear examples of a wide range of accents and dialects.
- If you are interested in reading and better understanding Old or Middle English texts, you may find the short Introduction to Old English and to Middle English to be helpful starting points.